3.9K views

I am not really happy with Penn Foster HVAC program. I made three question and neither weren answered right.Like I told them that I saw a heat pump with only one metering device and they told me to look better that there should be another one some where.The I found out that there are two way flow txv. Also they do not offer any type of training video.So basically you paying around $ 700.00 for a book and a $12.00 multimeter that they send you at the end of the course and the $50.00 for the EPA test.

Review about: Penn Foster Career School Program.

Had an Experience with Penn Foster Career School?

Comments

am doing just fine in my studies at penfoster hvacr and am learning a lot of stuff from that course the u have to apply yourself that is why it is call home schooling.if you dnt how to apply yourself and need someone to show you then try the traditional way.so far am the whose teaching people from what i learn from penfoster.but again everyone is different.

Chicago, Illinois, United States #710187

I have worked construction all my life, cement, roofing, electric (basic Wiring a house and such) but not electronics.I have even designed the flow chart for heating a home (70 at three feet off floor) with cold air returns and such.

Would taking an online course like PennFoster be of any use to me?

Why would I want to waste $$ on something I might not even need.Anyone??

Reston, Virginia, United States #650440

Hvac is not a course to take online unless u work as a maintenance tech and already close to the field. Thats the only way that could be useful otherwise ur wasting money

Sao Paulo, Sao Paulo, Brazil #638196

it all depends on what your looking for.There are 3 things an employer wants.

Experience, training and to know who you are as a person. Many people who take online courses want the degree. We just want to ensure the degree we are getting is worth the piece of paper its written on. So being an Acredited school is huge.

Also having hands on training is not always necessary. Someone can tell me how to connect a line to the high side and I will do just fine. And there are alot of us out here looking to better ourselves but want to know about the school program and if it would help us or not.

So when I apply for a job around the world and they ask me for that piece of paper I want it to mean something to them.:)

I have my HVAC from Penn Foster...I completed the couse in 4 months ... and I did not have any problems ..the send me books on time ..the problems here is .I had 2yr degree in electronic so the couses I was taking in HVAC was not had..if you do not have the background in electronic you need to take the couse local..plus you need to have a computer so you can take your test.Do not send test by mail..also pay your bill on time so you can get you deploma..Lastly the couse are designed for you to get a job to be train.

HVAC Tech needs a real tech college degree "2-4 years".You need to be state certified.

'Licensed and insured' Now there is no way you can go and work on heaters A/C with a PF diploma LOL its a diploma mill a rip off! You are wasting your cash and are a fool if you believe you will get a job with that worthless diploma.

You cant even work for yourself...if you get caught you will be sued and you might blow a house up!

Good luck.

to Sam Champion Knoxville, Tennessee, United States #615739

u can too work with a diploma, all u need is a business license to own a heating and air company an a few tech courses, i would know considering i own one... get your facts straight before you post

to Sam Champion Enola, Pennsylvania, United States #734523

Maybe in your state you need to be certified, but not here in PA. All you need is the EPA certification and you can work for who you want. If you have your own business then you just need a contractor I.D and insurance. I am taking the Penn Foster HVACR course right now and I am learning a whole bunch of stuff. I work in building maintenance, and I already have a better understanding on how to trouble shoot. You don't need to go to a 2-4 year tech college, I have seen people come out of those schools and can't tell you how electricity flows let alone use a wrench.

Don't put people or education down in till you know for sure it is not worth it.

I'll tell you I don't think all of PF courses translate well to distance learning.Something like HVAC probably needs to be taken at a local vo-tech so you can get hands on and talk face to face with other students and instructors.

I don't see how any trades do well with being taught via distance learning.

Trades are to hands on.Some parts of learning a trade can be done via distance but certainly not all of it can be.

to Eric Williams #1075505

It depends on what field within hvac your taking classes for.I have been doing sheet metal ducting for 15 years, its something that needs to be hands on, most of the schoolwork cant be taught without it.

Control techs are required to take classes by most of their employers to stay up to date because equipment is always changing.

Refrigeration requires some hands on, but you also need to understand some of the physics in order troubleshoot, and its great to know 'how' to do something, but the 'why' can give the ability to be intuitive and solve problems outside of your realm of understanding.Balancers need both.

You need both is the bottom line.